Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Course Reflection

This class has been the most beneficial of my college career. Before this semester the only cameras I had ever touched were the JVC 100 and a Flip I bought one day when I was bored. Now I feel technically sound on a multitude of camera and have the knowledge to work my way around cameras I have never used before.

I did not know a thing about lighting before this class, and now I have the base to set up hard and soft lighting situations. I may not get it right on the first set up, but I know how to troubleshoot and get things to look the way I want once the initial set up has been made.

This class taught me some of the finer aspects of composition like eyelight and Hitchcock's rule. The filmmaker's eye was really helpful in this regard. I have become more snobby in which locations I will use to shoot something. Before I was only concerned about space, but now I'm also worried about what the space looks like. Setting up in a poor place is no excuse for bad composition.

I gained a handle on which lenses to use in what situation and was willing to try more combinations of lenses at certain apertures as opposed to 201.

The production meeting finally made all the previsualization hit home for me. Before that I would just keep it all in my head, but really the more previsualization techniques you use: shot list, shooting script, story boards, floor plans, the better your project turns out. It's much easier to show people as opposed to tell them.

And finally I think my style is starting to come into it's own. Enjoy shooting classic hollywood style shots, but I also like to change them up with dynamic 21st century shots.

No comments:

Post a Comment